I love messenger bag style purses and was excited to try out Jen Gidden’s Classic Messenger Bag pattern. I have made her Pleated Tote pattern and really liked it. Very simple and clear instructions.
I used decorator weight Lovesme Lovesmenot in Leaf from Anna Maria Horner’s Innocent Crush collection.
For the inside lining, I used a polka dot from American Jane Patterns from the Look and Learn collection by Sandy Klop. There is just a simple pocket inside, but you could really customize here adding a zippered pocket or specialized pockets for your phone, etc.
For the interfacing, to give it body, I used Pellon 809 Decor Bond. This made the flap a little stiff. Currently, it looks very nice, but I wonder how it will really stand up to real world use.
All in all, this was a very fun project and pretty much instant gratification, which was exactly what I was looking for!
After being completely Creeper pillowed out, I received a special request for a Minecraft Steve pillow. Here’s how he looked in process:
Here’s how he looked all done and ready for delivery:
I used the same technique as the creeper pillows: ironing 2 1/2″ squares onto fusible interfacing, sewing 1/4″ seams vertically and horizontally, then adding a 3″ border to make the front. All fabrics used are Kona solids.
I finally finished a baby quilt for my son’s 1st/2nd grade teacher. The baby was born over a month ago, but that’s the way sewing goes around here. Since work ended in late May and school ended in mid-June, I’ve had a little more time to squeeze in some sewing.
The pattern is Elizabeth Hartman‘s New Wave Quilt. The fabrics are from Sarah Watt’s Timber & Leaf collection for Blend Fabrics. I fell in love with this collection and knew it would be perfect for this family. Even though there’s a lot of fox fabric out there, I think this collection has the cutest one! For the stripes in between the prints, I used Kona Snow and for the binding I used the tiny stripe in aqua from Locally Grown by Marisa and Creative Thursday for Andover Fabrics.
Here’s a picture of the back of the quilt. I was hoping to use one solid piece of the fawn fabric and not do a pieced back, but I found a flaw in the fabric and needed to cut it off. Unfortunately, this print is hard to find and I could not find enough yardage at a reasonable price. So, I added a few other prints along the side.
I just made a simple embroidered label for the back. I have been wanting to practice embroidery and hope to bring some along to keep my hands busy on our road trip later this summer.
Here’s a full view of the quilt. Due to my fear of free motion quilting on a gift project intended for someone else and not just for me, I chose to just do some straight quilting along the waves. I think it turned out pretty well. But I would like to be a little more experimental on some upcoming projects.