I have been working on a Pearl District Table Runner by Busy Bee Quilt Designs since November. Here’s what I have so far…I’m waiting for Essex Sand to get re-stocked in the shop so I can finish my binding. I’ve used fabrics from Anna Maria Horner’s Field Study Collection. I have enjoyed making this a lot. I chose to make the circles by sewing a circle on squares of fabric and interfacing sandwiched together, then slicing open the interfacing with my seam ripper, turning right side out, trimming and ironing flat. While probably the most time-consuming applique method of the three suggested in the pattern, I liked the neatness of this one. I tend to be messy with fusible interfacing and get glue on my iron and fabric. Ugh!
Some of the prints from Field Study are larger scale, so you only see a partial part of the design. Maybe this would have worked better with smaller scale prints, but I think I still like it.
Not sure how I’m going to quilt this yet. I’ll probably just do something in the border and leave the circles alone. My free-motion quilting skills are still in the development stage.
I have a lot of left over circle in a square blocks that I didn’t end up using. Perhaps they’ll transform themselves into coasters.
As with every new year, I always have a bevy of goals, resolutions, etc. I am a dedicated list maker. So, one of my goals is to always do more sewing. I really want to conquer some of my many UFO’s (unfinished objects) that are sitting around my office. I also want to get over my fear of the serger. I have this beautiful machine, but it scares the heck out of me. I think another round of classes is in my future.