Thank you to everyone who came out to Llewellyn Elementary, the Portland Waldorf School and The Arleta School!
This fall was the first time I was able to fully commit to sewing and selling. But I often think, why am I taking time making all these things? My tagline is “handmade smiles” and yes, sewing makes me happy and gives smiles to my customers. But it’s not like I’m making the world a better place or helping those in need.
So, I decided to donate 50% of my sales to organizations included in this year’s Give! Guide. The Give! Guide includes 141 Portland nonprofits and puts them under one digital roof. They range from nonprofits that focus on animals, civil and human rights, education, environment, health, human services and more.
I am happy to report that together we raised $635 to donate to local organizations! While all the nonprofits are worthy and it was very difficult to narrow down, I whittled it to 5 — giving $127 to each. Thank you to those who recommended organizations to me! I also chose organizations that have been important in my life.
The organizations Chinchilla Whiskers donated to are:
- Baby Blues Connection — Provides free support, information and resources to women and families coping with pregnancy and postpartum depression.
- Bradley Angle — Serves all people experiencing, or at risk of, domestic violence, by providing safety, education, empowerment, healing and hope.
- Farmers Ending Hunger — Partners with Oregon farmers and ranchers who donate extra crops of produce, vegetables, fruit, wheat and cattle to help feed Oregon’s hungry. The donated food is transported and processed for use in emergency relief boxes coordinated and distributed by the Oregon Food Bank’s regional network.
- Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette — Provides, promotes and protects access to reproductive health care.
- Portland Animal Welfare Team (PAW) — Keeps people and pets together during the most difficult times of their lives by providing free veterinary care to the pets of the homeless and those living in acute poverty.
Again, thank you so much for supporting Chinchilla Whiskers but also for helping others! Happy Holidays!